Everything About Cream Chargers: Using Them in Cooking
It is not surprising that people still work in the food industry yet haven’t discovered or heard of cream chargers or whipping cream dispensers. The reason is simple – they are not aware of the immense capabilities of these unique kitchen tools.
A whipping cream siphon (or dispenser) is a device (or bottle) in which pressurized gas (generally nitrous oxide) is inserted via a cream charger to make whipped cream. The cream charger can be a small metal capsule (also called canisters or cartridges) or a metal cylinder like Fast Gas 615gr, a more oversized and time-efficient format.
The mentioned tools can be convenient and productive when preparing whipped cream or any other mixture in large quantities, so you should not deny the pleasure of having them in storage.
This guide will take you through the main features of whip cream chargers and let you see what you can all do with them.
What are Whip Cream Chargers?
A whip cream charger is a metal cartridge made of food-grade steel containing pressurized nitrous oxide gas. The N2O gas, abbreviated for nitrous oxide, acts as a whipping agent, helping mixtures aerate and gain volume.
Today it is possible to find a wide range of cream chargers in the market suitable for all needs. The smallest size and standard for most cream dispensers is 8g. Other sizes available are 580gr, 615g, and 640g. These last equal 80+ traditional canisters, for which a bigger cream charger results in an absolute recommendation.
But we guess you wonder how the nitrous oxide can go in the siphon? We do have an answer for you! Click here to discover how a whipping siphon work.
8G Cream Charger VS 615G Cylinders
You are clear on two things about cream chargers until this very moment:
- A single charger can be a cartridge or portable cylinder filled with food-grade nitrous oxide (N2O).
- A cream charger is approachable in different sizes and suitable for many needs.
The next step is to know the advantages and disadvantages of using an 8g or a bigger one.
An 8-gram cream charger is the industry’s minor version of N2O cartridges. They are non-refillable and typically designed with a silver finish; they are highly recommended for low-volume use at home or a first-time trial. One capsule usually measures 2.6 inches long and 0.5 inches wide at the bottom.
For a significant occasion or business, you can get a retailer pack of 24 or 50 8-gram N2O chargers.
How to use 8-gram cartridges:
All you’ve got to do is:
- Fill your cream whipper with the right ingredients (such as liquid whipping cream)
- Unscrew the charger holder, slide in the cartridge, and screw back the holder containing the cream charger until you hear a sound that indicates the gas has been injected into the dispenser.
Some famous brands on the market are GreatWhip, ISI, Mosa, Kayser, Smartwhip & Whipit.
615g Cream Chargers
615-gram cream chargers are nowadays the most requested format in the food industry. A single tank is approximately 12 inches long and 3 inches wide. One 615-gram cylinder is equivalent to around 85+ single cartridges.
Unlike the small 8g canisters, the 615g cream chargers are incredibly time-saving when creating whipped creams, foams, and cocktails on a large scale. Like the small ones, the big cartridges are also fully disposable and recyclable.
On Fast Gas, you can purchase 1 to 24 packs. View our product page for more information.
How to use 615-gram cream chargers
Using a 615g cylinder requires a pressure regulator, an adaptor, and a filling hose.
An adaptor enables you to connect the filling hose and pressure regulator to your cream siphon. You’ve got to inject just the right amount of nitrous oxide gas you need into your cream whipper.
All this considered, you can now think wisely and choose what favors you the most. Maybe it is good to remember that one 8g cream charger can only charge a cream whipper once, whereas a 615-gram cylinder twice or more.
Using N2O Chargers and Whipped Cream Dispensers in Cooking
The combo of whipped cream chargers and siphon can benefit your common preparations, depending on what you are making on a given day. Apart from whipping up heavy cream into super-airy whipping cream, you can use bulk whipped cream chargers for various culinary purposes. Here are to name a few:
- Frothy Batters: It is hard to find a person who doesn’t love fluffy cakes, pancakes, and soufflés. However, getting a super-fluffy batter with a manual whipper can be challenging. The conventional method is substantially time-consuming too. Thankfully, using a whipping cream dispenser and nitrous oxide charger, you can have the frothiest batter in minutes. This method is particularly excellent for those, who don’t like incorporating alcoholic beverages into their preparations – as with cream chargers, you get the frothiness of beer batter without even using beer!
- Classy Cocktails: With a cream siphon and cartridges, you can prepare exciting dishes and exotic cocktails. Plus, you can use them to make fizzy drinks and thick creams, depending on your choice. Moreover, suppose you want your beverages to be alcohol-free. In that case, you can use them to bring freshness to your non-alcoholic drinks too.
- Espumas: Espuma means “foam” in Spanish. It is what you see in high-end restaurants. These usually enhance the look and texture of different dishes and add subtle hints to your preparations. Creating great Espumas at home can be challenging using the conventional method. Still, you can easily make them with whip cream siphons and dispensers.
To conclude, we have no more to say than just try! Dare to try these amazing kitchen tools! Two must-have in your next culinary feat.
Note that if you intend to buy online, it would be best to buy from an established N2O cream chargers wholesale retailer like Fast Gas. You can be assured of fast doorstep delivery and get great discounts on bulk orders.